Visual Vibes LED Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Frequency Response

What are the frequency response ranges of each one of the three vivi outputs?  I'm not always getting consistent responses and I'd like to check ranges.

ViVi was not designed for exact repeatable consistency or to be used with a "click track", it's goal is to create music synced light shows that are pleasing to view and to do this in real-time for any music.  It should still be quite consistent though, so if you are having issues the first thing to check is that your source volume (phone, computer, etc.) is high enough, it should be 50% or higher (the higher the better) so that the line-level signal ViVi is analyzing is clearly defined; you can then adjust the speakers/amplifier volume to change the volume of the sound you hear.

These are the frequencies covered by each range, but ViVi gives priority to certain frequencies within the ranges:

• Bass 20 Hz - 150 Hz
  • Mids 80 Hz - 900 Hz
  • Treble 1,000 Hz - 15,000 Hz

If you are trying for a click track type of use then I'd estimate the frequencies to best keep from overlapping would be 30Hz for bass, 400Hz for mids, and 6kHz for treble.  We could add in a mode designed for click tracks in the future and have set frequencies that could be better isolated, but that will take time to develop and test and release.  We won't have time to start working on that, if we do, until at least mid-2019.

@mattkachur

Are there any more documents detailing the frequencies ViVi gives priority to?

Why was 900-1000Hz left out / is there a way to adjust the ranges Bass - Mids - Treble respond to?

Thanks,

Kyle

No further documentation, it's all in our code, which we don't share :/

We use a combination of hardware and software to create the frequency bands, 900-1000 ended up as a lower sensitivity in the final design for no particular reason, but there is a lot of overlap there for instruments and vocals.  In future app/firmware updates we plan to allow some level of adjustment to the frequency ranges and we will definitely be adding an "enhanced channel separation" option to help force sounds that cover multiple frequency ranges to only trigger one channel at a time.